Wednesday, April 02, 2008

happy 30th, kelly!


I wanted to take some time to honor my good friend, Kelly, on this very special day of her's. As we have been doing life and care group together, I am finding more and more what a gift from God she is to me. In the Lord's perfect timing, He has brought a friend who has been encouraging, supportive, and loving. She has always been quick to encourage me after each ladies' meeting (or Bill after each care group) that I did a great job leading the ladies that night. And as I am quick to be tempted to think about my failures for the evening and what I could have done better or how I wish I could give counsel better, it is only the Lord's kindness that Kelly has been there to speak supportively of me. This encourages me to think that maybe I didn't stir up more of a mess than what the ladies came with, eventually helping me to remember that it is the Lord who brings change, not me. I just have to try to be faithful. Kelly, thank you for your faithful encouragements.

I have also appreciated and been grateful for her endeavors to pursue a friendship with me... all with utter bewilderment. I mean, I don't know why she would want to pursue a friendship with me, but I am indebted to the Lord once again for His kindness. I have the tendency to keep to myself a lot, so this has been no small feat on her part. =P It has meant a lot how she has been faithful to reach out and care for me. Kelly, thank you for how you have pursued me and our friendship. I do appreciate all your phone calls and our times of coffee together. Don't ever feel like you're bothering me.

But enough about me. Perhaps Kelly's greatest influence on me is in her example of faithful and biblical mothering. Kelly's 2 girls have various, ongoing health issues. She and Josh (her husband) are continuously navigating through new territory as they have to talk to different doctors, have different tests done, administer different medicines, and work through what parenting looks like for their 2 girlies... just to name a few of the things they walk through. And then there's the regular wifely duties, such as doing laundry, preparing meals, and keeping up the house. No small task for a mom with kids who don't have any health issues, let alone accomplishing all that needs to get done with children who have special needs.

But with all that being said, I have seen such amazing grace imparted to her, as well as her girls. The Lord seems to have given her oldest girl a gift for comprehension and understanding. As young as she is, she seems to understand well God's presence with her, His love for her, and how she can always reach her Abba through prayer. It is truly nothing short of miraculous to watch and see how God's peace has been poured out on their family, and to see the fruit of their faithful parenting. This, of course, did not come naturally or without God's help. I have seen Kelly humble herself to seek counsel and ask for help frequently. I have seen her wrestle with the path that God has laid out for her. But most importantly, I have seen a joy and peace triumph in God's plan for her and her family, knowing that it is both perfect and altogether good. I count it a privilege to walk beside this godly woman, to learn from and to grow with. And I thank God for her.

Kelly, may the Lord bless you abundantly for how you have laid down your life for your family. It may not be the path you would have chosen for yourself, but it's the path that God has chosen for you. And it is indeed good. These are things that you can already attest to. =) Thank you for how you continually inspire me to walk faithfully before what the Lord has laid out for me, rather than living for my own agenda or self-interests. May your works praise you at the gates.

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her,and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm,all the days of her life.

She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed;her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently,but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands,and let her works praise her in the gates. (Prov. 31:10-12, 27-31)

(Thanks for the pic, Josh! And Kelly, I would have post this earlier, but I wanted to share these thoughts with you in person first. Happy 30th, my dear friend! So grateful for you!)

1 comment:

Kelly C said...

oh, amy! once again, i am humbled! thank you for your encouragements. so grateful for YOU and your friendship. indeed, it is God being very kind to us!!
love you, my dear friend.