
We took Josiah to Cranial Tech to get measured for his band. =( We had to get him down to his diapers and then they put hose (like a sock hose) over his head to flatten his hair so they could get pictures of the shape of his head. (He looked
like a little bank robber.) They sat him down in the center of a semi-circle of 12 cameras. He had to look straight ahead and sit still for the cameras to take pictures of his head, which would then be composited together to form a 3-D image. Josiah did pretty well, except for wanting to stand when he was supposed to sit. They actually had to take 2 sets of pictures b/c they were trying to get him out of his left tilt (you can see his tilt in the pic above), which was hard to do since he doesn't like sitting very much. They actually had to get 4 personnel in there to hold him down in a sitting position and try to get his attention to take the pictures. I think that only aggravated the situation for him b/c he just started crying and arching his back, especially since they were all strangers. I was there, too, but he was already freaked out. But they were able to get what they needed. So we go back in 2 weeks to have him fitted for the band, to learn how to take it on/off, and how to clean it.
It makes me a little sad that it's come to this... I always have a hard time when my babies have to deal with something out of the ordinary. But I am incredibly grateful that there is nothing wrong with Josiah's health... this is mainly a cosmetic issue for him, and if it doesn't work, then at least we can say that we tried. I am also TREMENDOUSLY grateful for Mom, who is making this possible for Josiah. We are only in a position where we can try b/c of her extraordinary generosity, kindness, and love for us and our boys. From the beginning, she did not want our decision to be based on whether we could afford the band or not. If we decided it was something we wanted to pursue to help correct Josiah's head, Mom was on board and supportive from the beginning. (Can't tell you how much I thank God for you, Mom! Our boys are so incredibly blessed to have a Mema that loves them more than they will ever know.)
And most importantly, I am grateful to our Savior who has been so faithful to preserve and protect our Smiles and to provide for us once again. I know that truth is that there is nothing "ordinary" about life. There is no "normal" life. "Normal" is usually just a path for convenience, comfort, self-absorption, and ease. Oh, how I frequently believe that lie and long for a "normal" life (or even someone else's life)! But the Lord calls us to so much more than an ordinary or normal life. He calls us to a life of faithfulness through what He has sovereignly planned to use to grow us more into Chrsitlikeness. He wants more for us than we would ever want for ourselves. And as I take time to dwell on how He has not treated me as my sins deserve, I am truly in awe and wonder at His mercies to us (Many families are unable to afford the band since insurance rarely covers it. They are left to fundraise, find other means, or just forego the band. Our insurance has denied our request for coverage, so we will appeal.), His everlasting love for us, and His faithfulness to His promises... to provide for more than we ask. And though it's hard and may be a tough transition with the band, I know the Lord will use the next few months to grow our family for our good.
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”
~ Lamentations 3:22-24 ~
I have loved you with an everlasting love;
therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.
~ Jeremiah 31:3 ~
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
~ Ephesians 3:20-21 ~

Our uncooperative little bank robber... Josiah was arching his back b/c he didn't want to sit.
In the waiting room...
In the waiting room...
I know this pic is extremely blurry, but this is the composite they got of Josiah's head.
Please keep us in your prayers! Especially that our Smiles would adjust well to being in the band and that there would be no adverse side effects.
1 comment:
Sorry for the blurry pic of the 3D model of Josiah... it was right after I bumped their gazillion dollar 3D scanner thing and the tech explaining they'll now need to "re-calibrate it, but it's ok..."
And that thing on the side of his head is one of the tech's hands. She was trying to keep his head straight. There's nothing growing out of the side of his head.
Post a Comment