This passage from Beside Still Waters really spoke to me. I am so prone to complain these days about our financial situation, busy/hectic days, or just things I think I deserve...
Earthly comforts are loaned. They are not gifts, for all that we possess is God's property. He has only lent them, and what he lends He has a right to take. We hold possessions and friends on a lease that can be terminated at the Supreme Owner's option. Therefore, do not complain when God takes His own. In a world where thorns and briars grow, it is natural that some sharp points will pierce you.
The world swarms with thieves, deceivers, and slanderers, with losses in business, crosses in our expectations, false or fickle friends, and with sickness and death. Little wonder our joys are stolen. Our Master warns that our habitation is not theft-proof. "Do not lay up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal" (Matt. 6:19).
Beloved, because these calamities may be expected, let us be prepared. Hold all things loosely. Hold them as though you did not have them. Look at them as fleeting; never expect them to remain. Never make mortal things your gods. If you do, your heart will be broken when they are taken, and you will cry with Micah, "You have taken away my gods which I made" (Judg. 18:24) (p. 22, emphases mine).
This passage especially spoke to me about my relationships with people, in particular those close to me. This is perhaps one of the most difficult areas for me to have charitable thoughts, as I tend to judge, compare, and have unspoken and high expectations. It was a great reminder that EVERY area of my life is on loan from the Lord, including friends and family. Nothing is owed to me. I can definitely relate to Micah when my heart gets broken or I get angry when those relationships are not what I want/expect them to be or are taken away... never realizing that I have made an idol of them. My heart is broken and I fall into sin b/c they are what I had put my hope in, holding on to them as if I had nothing else. I was very convicted by this passage to hold onto my relationships as though I did not have them... to be grateful for the time that I have with the dear people God has placed in my life. And when friendships or relationships seem to be changing, to be willing to let them go and accepting of how the Lord may be shifting the nature of our friendship/relationship. Sadly, looking back on my life, I see what a pattern that has been... just constantly putting people before God and putting my hope in them, rather than in my perfect Creator. I pray that the Lord would help me learn how to hold all things loosely, to never expect them to remain so that my full trust and obedience can rightfully be to God and Him alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment