Monday, February 01, 2010

potty traning day 1...


We are officially starting potty training with William. I didn't do much research on it, although that may have been wise to do... but really, how hard can it be? ;) Thankfully, I received many reminders to hold this potty-training business loosely and to be willing to be flexible, even if we end up finding that William isn't ready (although I think he's more than ready). ;) Seriously, that advice was definitely helpful b/c I often have my own plans and agendas of how I think things should or will work out, but with me, plans often don't work out the way I think or expect they will. =)

Anyway, William did great on his first day. He was able to pee all day in his potty. The only poop he had was during his "nap" or alone time. He usually poops during this time. And we've decided to keep him in diapers during his sleep times, which are naps and bedtime. We didn't want to disrupt naps with constantly taking him out of his crib to use the potty. So that's why his poop was in a diaper. ANYWAY, he did great pee-ing in his potty all day... until the end of the day when we got dumb. And when I say dumb, I mean D-U-M.

Don't ask me why we listened to a 3-year old, but I was heading out to pick up some take-out. William always comes with me when I go out and run errands. So he expected to come and began getting very upset when we told him it wasn't such a great idea since we were starting potty training with him today. He kept asking with such a sad look and tears in his eyes... and had done great with telling us when he had to pee during the day... so we relented and put him in underwear and sweatpants and took him... reminding him over and over again that if he needed to pee, he had to tell me. So I repeatedly asked him on the way to the restaurant if he needed to pee. "No..." I asked him when we got to the restaurant. "No..." I asked him before we left the restaurant." "No..." I asked him several times on the way home. "No..." When we got home, I asked him if he needed to pee. "No..." AWESOME!!!! I began praising him that he did such a wonderful job not pee-ing in his underwear. And when I took him out of his car seat, he was all WET!!! I COULD NOT BELIEVE HE PEE-ED! I proceeded to think how dumb, dumb, dumb we were. I don't know what would possess us to try that on the first day of potty training. We really thought his control with pee-ing was great though. Obviously, not good enough. =P

We're not sure how this going-out stuff works after potty training this week. Do we use underwear? Pull-ups? Does it matter? Not go anywhere for an extended period of time if we can help it? Hmmm... I'm sure we'll figure it out as we go along. Right now, I've got to figure out how to wash our car seat.

1 comment:

Kelly C said...

i am cracking up at your line, "And when I say dumb, I mean D-U-M."
glad you are holding it loosely, friend. : ) no right or wrong way to do it or at least i do not think so. you are a good momma who is trusting God for grace in all areas - including this, SO well done. : )
praying for a good day of pottying!