Tonight was one of those nights that changes everything.
After dinner, William asked me, "does Jesus need to sleep?" I replied, "no - he has a resurrection body now that doesn't get tired... When you go to heaven you get a new body that doesn't need sleep." William replied, "I want to go to heaven." I told him that in order to go to heaven you have to ask Jesus into your heart. We spoke briefly about what that means and since we've been sharing the gospel with him often, I think he actually 'got it.'
Usually when we ask William if he wants to ask Jesus into his heart, he says something like, "Yes. But not today." Well tonight was different. He excitedly said "yes." I said "tonight?" He said, "yes!" I kind of froze for a moment trying to figure out what to do next. So Amy, Josiah, William and I gathered in the bathroom (not sure why we ended up there) and sat down and prayed. William acknowledged that he was a sinner and needed a savior. That his sin separated him from God and that Jesus' death on the cross was the only way he could be saved. He asked the Lord to come dwell in his heart, and to turn his heart of stone into a heart of flesh.
It was one of the most joyful moments we've experienced as parents. Of course after we were done and finished bible reading time, I had to explain to William the doctrine of election and remind him that he didn't choose Jesus, but that Jesus chose him. Loved talking theology with my little man. He may have got some of it... :)
When Amy came in she was talking about the fact that the Holy Spirit (in addition to God and Jesus) also is in William's heart. And he responded, "who's that guy?" :) Good stuff. Lots to learn, and we do pray for fruit. After she left and William and I sat down to do our nightly prayers, I explained (or re-explained) what it meant to be a "Christian". After running through family members who we knew to be Christians, we got to Josiah, and I told him that we can't be sure. (Of course, only God knows about the status of anyone's soul.) He said "can we pray that Josiah would become a Christian too?" and I said of course! And we did.
Amazing night. It will be fun to watch our little man grow in the Lord.
2 comments:
That is awesome! Amy told me about it but not the part about Josiah. I'll keep praying for the seed of the gospel to grow in William's heart and for Josiah too. We should all be like William, without pretense and quick to pray for the salvation of others, especially our family.
And "Who's that guy?" Too funny!
Hi Amy! PTL that William understands and wants to trust Jesus! That's so funny too because our son asked the very same question this past week, and it opened a huge door to talking about who God is! Anyway, not sure if this will post, so I'll keep it short! -- Janet (UM)
Post a Comment