Wednesday, August 25, 2010

reading update 2...

Our monkey is sounding out letters in words now!  I know I shouldn't, but it always makes me laugh when I hear him do this, especially when it's for a longer word.  Spelling phonetically only goes so far unless you can start chunking the letters together.  Otherwise, it just becomes a bunch of several individual sounds that are difficult to put together, especially the longer the word.

William was looking at the word "sovereign" on one of Bill's t-shirts and began to say, "ss-oh-vv-eh-rr-eh-ih-gg-nn."  Man, I started cracking up so hard, still amazed though at how well he was sounding out the letters in the word.  I would have been mad impressed if he figured out the word with the 20 sounds he was making, along with the silent "g."  =)  Very cute... am loving watching how his reading is improving so fast!

No comments: