Friday, March 28, 2008

shepherding book quote 12

I know, it's been a while... I'm starting to hit that slump when I want to stop reading, but I know this is important stuff!

From Shepherding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp...

... The rod is wielded by a faithful parent, recognizing his child's dangerous state, employing a God-given remedy. The issue is not a parental insistence on being obeyed. The issue is the child's need to be rescued from death - the death that results from rebellion left unchallenged in the heart.

... In Proverbs 29:15 God says, "The rod of correction imparts wisdom..." Elsewhere, the Proverbs connect wisdom with the fear of the Lord. Fearing God and acquiring wisdom comes through the instrumentality of the rod.

The connection of the rod with wisdom is of profound importance. The child who is not submitting to parental authority is acting foolishly. He is rejecting the jurisdiction of God. He is living his life for the immediate gratification of his wants and desires. Ultimately, to refuse God's rule means to choose his own rule that leads to death. It is the height of foolishness.

The rod of correction brings wisdom to the child. It provides an immediate tactile demonstration of the foolishness of rebellion. Properly administered discipline humbles the heart of a child, making him subject to parental instruction. An atmosphere is created in which instruction can be given. The spanking renders the child compliant and ready to receive life-giving words (p. 107).

No comments: